Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Day 12 - The Kigali Genocide Memorial Center

















Okay, so day 12 began as all the others, yet the team knew this day would be different. After breakfast and devotions we left for the work site and got right to moving those boulders again. We all felt pretty good about yesterday's work, but after 2 hours of boulder moving today, we were feeling the physical demands of, basically 3 days of boulder moving, spackling, etc. We almost completed moving all the boulders by the time we needed to leave for lunch. The rest of the day was spent at the Kigali Genocide Memorial Center. Our time at the center caused shock, tears, emotional pain, and a numbness among some of the team. Evil exists in this world—we know that—so many people do not.

This experience was too overwhelming for me to Blog about tonight. Our team devotions were focused on our visit to the Memorial Center. Perhaps in tomorrow evening’s Blog, I’ll be prepared to share more. When you stand next to the grave of 258,000 bodies or bones of people murdered for simple hate, it’s not something that can be written about easily. And that’s just the beginning.
In the meantime, here are today’s reflections from Sister Annitta:
*******
Hello from Rwanda! I’m only going to say a few words tonight since my heart is a bit heavy.

Our day started out as usual, up at 6:00am, off to breakfast, then back to the guest house for devotions. After devotions we headed for the work site and moved rock after rock, after rock and some cement as well. The team went to lunch and then headed back to the guest house to clean up for our trip to the Kigali Genocide Memorial Center. The memorial is the reason for my heavy heart. It was so, so, so disheartening to me. I now have a much better understanding of strong fear. Words cannot ever begin to recap the memorial and how it affected each of us. My fear is that now I will not be able to discuss this with my friends and family back home for some time.

On a good note, the missing piece of baggage has arrived from Addis Ababa! We were all hoping that it would arrive before heading home since it had medical goodies in it for Mamma Arlene.

In ending I say this…I cannot wait to get home, but I never want to leave! My soul is filled with Rwanda and being a part of helping these beautiful people who are so poor in such a rich in beauty country.

I’m reminded of a quote from John Ed Mathison’s book, “Never believe that a few caring people can’t change the world, for indeed, that’s all who ever have.”

Annitta Hammaker
*******
Picture references: most of the pictures are of the Memorial Center, including a few capturing views of Kigali from the Center. The long concrete looking “slabs” are what cover the mass graves of genocide victims.

Tomorrow is our last full day of work with our Rwandan brothers and sisters. Please continue praying for us as the “emotional roller coaster” will be rough the next 48 hours. We have FELT your prayers and the team is very close, we have shared so much, and have witnessed to so many. We are deeply grateful for your support.

As Annitta said above, I, too, look forward to coming home. I also know my life will never be the same after my time in Rwanda. Rwanda gets in your soul, and affects you passionately. From the Memorial Center we learned that during the horror of genocide, the “West” was impotent and has blood on its hands, as does the Catholic Church in Rwanda.

Christians can never let this horror happen again. By the grace of God and the power of Jesus Christ, it won’t.
****
****
Ed